Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Three, III, Tres...

Ok, I'm not very creative this morning and had to copy from yesterday!! It is getting closer and closer to the end.

I'm unsure about how I am supposed to be on Monday, though. I have had doctors appointments daily and/or weekly since late August and now that will change to every few months. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. It's just how do you make the change from cancer patient to survivor? All along I've thought I didn't need support groups or to pull much from other survivors because I'm "so strong". I'm beginning to think differently now that I am at the end of two major treatments.

I am embarking upon the last part of my treatment with the use of Tamoxifen. This is a pill that I will take for 3-5 years. I will continue to see my oncologist about every 4 months to monitor everything, and will also continue to see my surgeon for ultrasounds. I need the Tamoxifen to stop the production of hormones because they are my enemy as far as breast cancer goes. My radiation oncologist told me yesterday that it will likely speed up the menopause that was chemically induced by the chemo. This is good and bad. The bad part is that my hot flashes will likely turn into full on night sweats for about three months! The good part is that they may only last for about three months!! I can handle this as long as I keep reminding myself that my "monthly visitor" will no longer be a part of my life! If, however, that visitor returns for some crazy reason, then I will have to rethink things!!! Of course, I know I have no control over how my body will react to the Tamoxifen and will just have to roll with the punches.

Here is a link to WebMD to check out Tamoxifen if you like: http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/tamoxifen (Mom, if you read this please remember they have to list all side effects...it doesn't mean they will happen to me!!! I love you!!)

It is time for another cup of coffee and some cereal for breakfast. I hope you all have a great day.

Love you all,

Lynne

No comments:

Going Bald My Way!